[mythtv-users] moving information between slave backends

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed May 7 19:26:49 UTC 2008

Mache Creeger wrote:
> At 07:05 AM 5/7/2008, Jesse Burt wrote:
>> J wrote:
>> > I have three backends, 2 are slaves, and the slaves never record
>> > anything...... (the quality isn't as good on them, and they have
>> frontends
>> > running on them anyway), but is there a way to have the
>> masterbackend move
>> > some of its recordings to the space on the slaves so that it stops
>> expiring
>> > the stuff because its drive is full but the slaves drives are basically
>> > empty?
>> > -J
>>
>> J,
>>
>> I don't know about *moving* the recordings over, but you could probably
>> mount the slave backends' recording directories onto the master backend
>> over nfs, cifs, etc. and add them as storage groups (assuming you're
>> using 0.21ish MythTV).
>
> How about using iSCSI to mount the storage over the network and then use
> LVM2 to make them all one volume?
>
> -- Mache

Ah, Russian Roulette with almost all of the chambers filled.

Given all of the things that would be stacked on top of each other I would not
even attempt to do that.   Just the reliability of the separate slave backends
would be enough to cause issues without the software having any issues....if you
lose and backend there are going to be issues, and that ignores that if you lose
a single disk everything is gone with LVM.

You can move the recordings and then put symbolic links to were the recordings
have moved to (so longs as all of the disks can be seen at the same locations on
all machines), I have done this in the past before storage groups existed, and
it works decent, just don't run the mythrename command as it will only rename
the links and not what is pointed at and you will have a real mess.

                                  Roger