[mythtv-users] moving information between slave backends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 7 15:10:22 UTC 2008

On 04/07/2008 10:51 AM, Mache Creeger wrote:

>  At 07:05 AM 5/7/2008, Jesse Burt wrote:
>
> > J wrote:
> >
> >> I have three backends, 2 are slaves, and the slaves never record
> >> anything...... (the quality isn't as good on them, and they have
> >> frontends running on them anyway), but is there a way to have the
> >> masterbackend move some of its recordings to the space on the
> >> slaves so that it stops expiring the stuff because its drive is
> >> full but the slaves drives are basically empty? -J
> >
> > I don't know about *moving* the recordings over, but you could
> > probably mount the slave backends' recording directories onto the
> > master backend over nfs, cifs, etc. and add them as storage groups
> > (assuming you're using 0.21ish MythTV).
>
>  How about using iSCSI to mount the storage over the network and then
>  use LVM2 to make them all one volume?

You're much better off keeping them separate volumes and using Storage
Groups to put all the directories in the same (i.e. Default) group.

And, the network-mounted (whatever approach you choose works) solution
is really the best one (as opposed to trying to move the files across
the network to load-balance storage usage).

Mike