[mythtv-users] AM2+ motherboard with support for ECC RAM for media player / server

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Wed May 7 07:04:51 UTC 2008

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Bob <spam at homeurl.co.uk
> <mailto:spam at homeurl.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Bob wrote:
>     > Unbuffered / Registered obviously.
>     >

>     Bad form Bla Bla Bla but just to update the list, the abit A-S78H also
>     supports Un-buffered ECC RAM, it doesn't have FireWire though
>     http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=A-S78H&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2
>     <http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=A-S78H&fMTYPE=Socket%20AM2>
>

> Why do you think that ECC vs non ECC ram will have any bearing on
> stability of a media computer ?  If you're going ECC, why would you
> not also go SCSI?
>
> I don't disagree with wanting stability, but the reality is that ECC
> likely will not give you any.

ECC RAM corrects bit errors in memory which could cause a crash or other
problems, these errors while rare are estimated to occur once a month
per GB of RAM, I'm planing have 2 or 4 GBs and I'll leave the system up
all the time, which is why reliability and low power consumption are a must.

I don't want to build a "proper" server with ECC Registered RAM and SCSI
because it'll cost a fair bit more for a fairly marginal improvement in
stability and longevity.