[mythtv-users] approve deinterlace filter?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue May 6 15:03:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 07:32 -0400, Doug Larrick wrote:

> Onefield won't work with XvMC.  Your only choices with XvMC are no
> deinterlacing or bob.  The other deint filters require access to the
> decoded frame data, which with XvMC lives only on the video card.

Thank you for that information; I was not aware of this. I have learned
much more about video and audio stuff than I ever wanted to, just to get
Myth to work )-:

> My guess is that with the new configuration, X is setting up your
> display *slightly* differently such that its refresh rate has sunk below
> the magic "2x frame rate" required for bob to work.

I had a devil of a time getting HD to work at all on my Pioneer TV. I
searched everywhere and could not find anyplace where anyone had made
this TV work; no working modelines could be found. I had to install
Windows XP and run Powerstrip to find something that would work. As I
recall, the refresh rate was something like 60.05 . If I set it to
60.00, the TV would not display it with the resulting mode line. I wish
I knew more about mode lines so I could tweak the settings without
having to go through the headache of bringing up Windows. I am several
versions farther along in the X server, the video driver, the kernel,
Myth, and everything else, so it might be possible to find a mode line
where I can actually have the refresh rate set to 60.00 and then perhaps
Bob could work without having to compile from source (I'll try that as a
last resort).

I do recall from previous attempts that I couldn't get HD to work on
this hardware without XvMC. I can try that again too but it most likely
won't be able to handle it.

> Run with "--verbose
> playback" and post the messages printed when setting up the video
> renderer (including the frame & refresh rates)
>   Also post the output of
> 'xvidtune -show'

Thank you; I will do this when I get home tonight.

--Greg