[mythtv-users] Migrating my mythtv setup to HD

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:54:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Emery Guevremont <emery.guevremont at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Misty P wrote:
>
> Emery Guevremont wrote:
>

> My (potentially) next purchase:
> Now I've been thinking on getting an HDHomerun for capturing, but I
> still need a way to view my HD recording on my TV.
>
> My questions:
> What would be the cheapest way on doing this?
>

> (imho imho imho)
>
> The cheapEST way would be two HVR-950s or HVR-1250s (figure $50-65 each),
> plus an nvidia card that does XvMC ($30).  Assuming your machine has enough
> usb/pcie slots to support them, of course.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, then the next cheapest route is the HVRs on
> the backend, plus a UPnP front end that does high def.  I bought my ZyXEL
> for $100 with a rebate, $150 is the regular daily price.
>
> A lot of people like the HDHR, but I just don't like throwing traffic on my
> network that I don't believe HAS to be there.  Add in that dual hauppauges
> are cheaper, and the HDHR was a non-starter for me.
>

> That's not a bad suggestion, I hadn't thought on getting a UPNP high
> definition player. In my case, I'd probably only get an HVR-1600 since I
> only have PCI slots.

Just be warned that not all UPnP experiences are created alike and many UPnP
players have various issues with Myth's fairly new implementation of UPnP.
While those problems can be worked out, it may end up being a very
frustrating experience compared to other "native" options. I would also keep
an eye on the progress of HD playback on the AppleTV as those are very
competitively priced and offer a native mythfrontend option.

Kevin