[mythtv-users] Who needs to worry about copyright? CoreAVC for Linux removed from Google Code

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 6 12:35:19 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> For all the concerns over hard-nosed stances over integrating
> technologies into MythTV, this comes across the news today:
>
> http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9935786-39.html
>
> Kevin
Actually I don't think this does show what you're suggesting it does.
Even before the company retracted the violation a lot were scratching
their heads wondering just WTF was wrong... as the writer hadn't
infringed on anyones copyright nor had he breached the various oddities
in the DMCA; CoreAVC for Linux was a wrapper to let mplayer, mythtv and
anything else you want to write patches for, use a proprietary binary
blob of a codec which legally you have to but from the original company.

What it DOES show to my mind is that with a deft flick of the wrist a
misfiring DMCA take down notice could vaporise any project, hosted in
the states... be it hypothetically VLC, GNOME or indeed MythTV.  One
letter and blam gone until the matter is resolved. I'd say it also shows
just what a poor chunk of legislation the DMCA actually is.  I'd go so
far to say that any company that is in the midst of a kamikazie nose
dive could spam DMCA letters and pretty much FUD the whole core of Linux
in to oblivion with one fell swoop (assuming it's all hosted in places
that actually care about United States legislation obviously).

Of course out in the real world this will, for years, be cited as a
reason why Linux is evil by people who don't deserve the title
journalist as you'll probably never see an update to this story about
the actual outcome.