[mythtv-users] arrgh, mythtv autoexpired everything

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Mon May 5 17:37:37 UTC 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 00:42:52 Richard Woelk wrote:
> Something strange just happened and I'm trying to figure out why so I
> can prevent it from happening again.
> Here's an explanation of my setup first.
>
>     I have a frontend/sql server/NAT router computer that is hooked
> to my tv. The backend in the basement has a PVR150 and a PVR250 in it
> and the 2x500GB hardware raid0 for recordings.
> The capturing backend runs Fedora 8 i386 with mythtv-.21 fixes from
> atrpms. The frontend runs CentOS5 x86_64 with .21 fixes from atrpms.
>
>     I used to to have the capturing backend as the master backend, it
> worked, but in order to save power & reduce heat, I recently enabled
> auto-shutdown/acpi wakeup on that backend. This worked great except
> that mythweb was unavailable while the master backend was off. This
> morning I decided to set my frontend as the master backend, and the
> recording backend as the slave. I went into mythtvsetup on both
> machines and changed the IP addresses of the master backend. I also
> restarted both backend processes.

Does your new master backend has a capturecard defined?

Backends without capture cards aren't supported. They problem is that
the network protocol uses for some commands the abstraction of capture
cards to communicate.

> Now, about 5 hours after I changed the settings. mythtv decided to
> autoexpire all the recordings that had autoexpire enabled.

The autoexpirer uses such commands. It is likely that the autoexpirer
will delete under some circumstances all autoexpireable recordings.

Janne