[mythtv-users] Channel Scanning From Firewire box?

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Mon May 5 17:01:03 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 12:01 -0400, Josh Juzwik wrote:
>> >  I have my channel listings downloaded via scheduledirect.  What I
>> would
>> >  like to do at this point though, is remove the channels that do not
>> come
>> >  over the firewire.  Some of them are fairly odd - like some locals or
>> >  the Weather Network.
>>
>> I have/had similar firewire issues.  Basically for channel control, i
>> have found it cleanest to:
>>
>> 1.  Filter the 'bad' channels from your schedulesdirect account.
>> 2.  Delete all the channels from mythtv-setup (channel editor)
>> 3.  'Fetch Channels from Listings Source' from 'input connections'
>> area of mythtv-setup.
>>

>> Also, upgrading to myth(buntu) .21 made my firewire experience a
>> thousand times more enjoyable.
>>

> I run trunk already so my experiences are with trunk.  The issue is, I
> don't know which channels are unavailable and which ones are -- that's
> why I need a scanner - to channel by channel and check.
>
> Norm

This isn't a great solution, but it will allow you to determine which
channels are output over firewire without reloading the modules
constantly.

So simply start live tv on a channel that works, then manually using a
channel changer script on the command line, cycle through the channels
you're interested in. If you land on one that doesn't work, use the script
to jump back to the working channel within 5 or 10 seconds and you won't
kill firewire. As I said this isn't a great solution, but I have so few HD
channels that it's easy enough.