[mythtv-users] PVR 350/500 problems (garbage in video, pulsating audio)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon May 5 15:31:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> >     I have had the first problem on my PVR-250 before, It was due to the
>  >  encoder chip overheating.

I got a chance to work on the system this week. I managed to rig up a
fan blowing right down on the card slots, so hopefully that solves the
problem. I remember the cards being close together, but now that I'm
more aware of the issue, when I looked again the fit was a lot tighter
than I remembered. On top of that, the 350 and 500 have their encoders
in the same location, so I'm sure it was getting heat from both cards.

With regard to the audio:

>  >  If your analog line cables are poor quality, it could cause all kinds of
>  >  wierd problems.

I tried all sorts of rewiring, all to no avail. I disconnected the
splitter and hooked straight up to the 500. I even disconnected my
cable modem (which is run into the house on its own line from the
splitter in the box outside my house), so I was testing on a
completely different wire. Still the same problem. I tried unplugging
all the case fans but that didn't help either. At this point, I really
have no clue what could be causing it. My next step would be to rip it
out and throw it in a windows box and see what I get from it. I'm not
sure when I'll be able to give that a try.

--
Ron