[mythtv-users] Oops - Anyone Succesful with AMD780G based motherboard?

covert covert thecovert+mythusers at gmail.com
Mon May 5 06:44:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Mark Goldberg <marklgoldberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> You Said:
>
>  >I am running a GA-MA78GM-S2H with a +4800 X2 (65W ?) CPU. From what I
>  >have been reading it does not support a 125W CPU. I installed the
>  >catalyst drivers with EnvyNG but it installed 8.3 not 8.4. Gears does
>  >over 2000 frames.
>
>  I got an ASUS M3A-H HDMI board and it crashes the X server when any
>  OpenGL thing runs.
>  I can't even run the Catalyst Control Center. This happens on both 8.3 and 8.4
>
>  It refuses to accept the Modelines I give it, using lower resolution
>  modes instead, so even
>  when it has not yet crashed, it is not at the full res of the TV. The
>  TV seems to even give it
>  good 1080p modes that it won't use.
>
>  Could you share your working xorg.conf?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Mark Goldberg

I installed ATI drivers via EnvyNG (installed from Synaptic). Had to
edit xorg.conf Device and the Extension section. I used xvinfo to
check if the changes I had made worked. Once the drivers where loaded
and I had the correct section in xorg.conf, xvinfo returned heaps of
info.

My working Xorg.conf

----cut-----

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "VideoOverlay"  "on"
        Option          "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
       Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
       Option      "TexturedVideo" "On"
       ### Set to 1 - better , set to 2 for compability, and 0 for basic
       Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
       ### Experimental
       Option      "Textured2D" "on"
       Option      "TexturedXRender" "on"
       Option      "BackingStore" "on"
        Driver          "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
  screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
       ## For Textured2d and Textured XRender
       Option      "RENDER" "On"
       ## For Compiz
       ### Listed in thread, but not used according to log on Xorg 7.2
       #Option      "Damage" "On"
       Option      "Composite" "On"
       ## Should be loaded automatically, but for good measure
       Option      "XVideo" "On"
EndSection
----end cut----

I have not been able to get sound working over HDMI yet. See my other
post on that.