[mythtv-users] Problems with mythtv and Radeon HD video cards

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat May 3 12:34:16 UTC 2008

David Gee wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get mythtv working in combination with an ATI Radeon HD
> video card, without much luck. The card is an Asus Radeon PRO
> 2600/HTDI/256M, and I'm using the open-source radeonhd driver.
> Unfortunately the driver doesn't yet support 2D or 3D acceleration. When
> I try to watch tv using mythtv, the audio plays perfectly but the video
> freezes, albeit with the occasional new frame every ten seconds or so.
> This machine is hooked up to my TV, at a resolution of 1920x1080. I've
> tried changing the video renderer in the mythtv settings, to no avail.
>
> Has anyone else had any luck getting mythtv to work with the radeonhd
> driver, or can anyone offer any other help?

I'm an Nvidia user myself, but I'm pretty sure that without 2D
acceleration you won't be able to get acceptable performance.

In the Nvidia world, we're in a similar situation with the open-source
'nv' driver that most distros provide - it's pretty much not recommended
to use this driver as the performance for displaying video just isn't
there, and we need to use Nvidia's proprietary driver.

Does your card/driver combo support OpenGL?  MythTv 0.21 has added
support for OpenGL rendering that works well, from what I have heard.

Otherwise I know there are people who use the propietary ATI driver with
great success - search the wiki if you're interested.