[mythtv-users] Linksys NSLU2 aka SLUG...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 2 14:57:10 UTC 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 8:48 AM, David Watkins wrote:

> On 02/05/2008, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> anyone out there using the SLUG (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/) as
>> a standalone MySQL DB?  or for any other semi-production
>> (production @
>> home) use?  they look like they would make decent little servers.
>> low
>> power, small footprint...
>
> I've got one with a 250GB disk on it.  I use it for backups and for my
> music collection, running the mediatomb UPNP server.
>
> I was also using it as an asterisk server until my ATA device died.
>
> I'm not sure about mysql though.  Mine's fairly slow as a fileserver,
> and they don't have a lot of memory

I have 4 of them, doing various things.

The USB system is slow though and, as you mentioned, it has limited RAM.

It also has no FPU, requiring emulation for floating point operations.

They are extremely useful little boxes, but the limitations would not
make them great DB servers.

They will run a full Debian installation, and they are considered
responsible for the fact that the ARM is the 3rd most popular CPU for
Debian.

beww