[mythtv-users] MyMote iPhone Remote Control For Mythtv

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Fri May 2 03:26:27 UTC 2008

Chase Douglas wrote:
> I've been working solely within the SDK. If would wouldn't mind, could
> you provide details on how you built the mysql lib? ./configure
> options and any special stuff you had to do would help.

Basically the configure script doesn't cleanly cross compile with the
normal options (--target and --host), as it still attempts to compile
tests for the target architecture on the host architecture.

What I did was locate all the tests that were failing, manually compile
the C snippets with some added printfs to determine the results and hard
code the values into the configure script, skipping the tests.

After doing that for a couple of hours I arrived a working library and
client tools as an added bonus.

I'm not yet familiar with the SDK, but I feel like you should already be
able to use the libmysqlclient library in my package - you get the
package from http://iphone.vulturest.com/mysql5client.zip. I didn't
include the static library in the package (I wanted the static library
for my project, but felt as an Installer package, installing the dynamic
library was more useful for most people).

> Also, how far are you on an iPhone frontend? It may be worthwhile to
> do some kind of merging of our projects so that we can use the same
> classes to reduce redundancy.

To be honest I haven't gotten much further than the menu - most of the
time spent so far has been porting and compiling required libraries.

I have successfully ported and tested the libcmyth library (used in the
Media MVP and XBMC projects) which will, in concert with the mysql
library allow access to an already pretty good API that talks the
backend protocol - better than writing the socket library / protocol
code from scratch.

At the moment I have some scratch tests that basically test connecting
to the backend as well as the database through the libcmyth API and
since then haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

> How are you going to watch live tv on the iphone since the recording
> formats from most tuner cards are not supported by the iphone or even
> quicktime on os x for that matter. At least, that's what I'm finding
> from my hauppauge pvr-250 files.

ffmpeg is ported and working on the iPhone (at least on jailbroken ones)
so there's definitely the possibility of using that, however transcoding
on the device is out and not having the hardware acceleration is a big
problem for performance. I haven't got much further than that -
server-side transcoding (ala flash player in mythweb) is a possibility
but one that I still think needs a lot of work to be tenable.

If you want any more info feel free to take it off-list and email me
directly.

Regards,
Johan.