[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: ntp stratum two time servers

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 1 16:28:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:06:16AM -0400, Rod Smith wrote:
> > I got around it by simply adding:
> >
> > server 0.pool.ntp.org
> > server 1.pool.ntp.org
> > server 2.pool.ntp.org
> > server 3.pool.ntp.org
> >
> > ...to all of them.  Maybe that's what I should have done from the
> > beginning.
>
> The pool configuration is certainly a convenient way to do it, but not always
> optimal. I'm using an NTP server that's run by my ISP, thus (theoretically)
> minimizing network traffic and improving NTP performance. When given the
> choice, ntpd does sync to my ISP's server rather than others, so this seems
> to be a good choice for me.

I've just had to set up in-house NTP properly at my new job, and my
approach was to take 3 OpenAccess servers from the strat 2 list at
ntp.org, and 3 us.pool server, and set those up as the peers for both
of my edge servers, which are on different backbones.  I then peered
them both to each other, and I'm going to tell my DHCP server to hand
out both internal addresses to my 25 servers and 280 workstations.

That's, I think, a big enough cloud to justify that many servers
upstream...

Amusingly enough, time.nist.gov was one of the pool servers.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)