[mythtv-users] MyMote iPhone Remote Control For Mythtv

Chase Douglas chasedouglas at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:43:15 UTC 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 10:28 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> Curious as to why you chose to develop a native app instead of a web-
> based one that would be useful to more than just the iPhone/iPod Touch
> like this one:
> http://legatissimo.info/node/355

The web-based application is interesting, but there are a few reasons
why I chose to develop a native application:

1. I wanted to play around with the iPhone SDK (hey, it's how most
cool open source apps start...)
2. I'm a much better c programmer than web developer
3. Though I cannot comment to much, nor can I assume I am correct on
this, but my belief is that a web app with the same functionality
would require a lot of AJAX. I have heard that AJAX, while it has been
abstracted by some libraries, is not as clean an API as a native SDK
can provide.
4. I haven't looked through Apple's documentation for the web apps,
but my guess is that even if it does support interfaces like the date
picker and buttons and scrollviews and such that are provided in the
native SDK, those implementations may only work on an iPhone or iPod
touch anyways. For instance, how can one provide multitouch inputs
through a web browser? I'm not sure you could load up Firefox and
expect to have the same interface and usability for all of the
elements used.

In the end it mostly came down to personal preference and abilities.
Of course, I don't mean to compete against any web based
implementations; hopefully, both will thrive in their own ways.

Thanks