[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: ntp stratum two time servers

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Thu May 1 11:29:31 UTC 2008

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>*snip*
>>
>>   ntpdate mythback
>>   1 May 07:00:05 ntpdate[17489]: no server suitable for synchronization found
>>
>>  What am I missing?
>>
>>  Tom
>>

> I just tried:
>
> ntpdate -u -d mythback
>
> ...and the error I'm getting is "192.168.1.51: Server dropped: strata too high"

Wait 15-30 minutes, it takes a while for your server to "upgrade" itself
to be "strata of server you're sync'ing against"+1. If it's still not
usable then there's likely a sync issue on mythback itself.

You can usually diagnose the problem by looking at the output of
ntptrace and/or ntpq(pe, as and rv commands).

Matt