No subject

Mon Mar 10 15:32:33 UTC 2008

along the 5C signal they receive with the station. The only stations I
know of that enable 5C in their broadcast signal to the cable
companies are the movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc), and a
couple of the sports channels like NFL Network. All the other channels
have their 5C signal set to 0. Now, the engineers for the cable
companies (or their managers really) can have their hardware that puts
those signals on the cable lines change the 5C bit, though I believe
legally they are not really "allowed" to. So in theory everyone should
get all the basic and extended cable channels free of 5C and the movie
channels, etc with 5C "enabled", but as we've seen many companies
change these bits. some, by default, set all of them to 0, some set
all of them to 1, some vary what they set them to seemingly randomly.

it's all a crap shoot really. except that PPV, InDemand, and the like
will pretty much always have 5C enabled.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!