[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 21:25:37 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I've read about a hundred different articles on the topic, and am
still very lost.  So I've got a 2-part question.  Does anyone use a
large dish (from what I've read it's called C-Band) to tune channels
ala-cart instead of forking over a ton of money for a bunch of
channels from the local Cable-Co (or small-dish satellite like
DirecTV) that you don't want?  If so, any info on how that works, how
to set it up, etc would be helpful.

The second part is pretty contingent on the first:  How do you then
interface that with MythTV?  I assume this is where things like DVB-T
cards come into play, but after having confused myself completely I
don't really understand what the different cards do (DVB-* such as
DVB-C).  I've got some sub questions here:
Does MythTV simply interface with some script to "move" the dish to
tune the appropriate channel, or does MythTV natively make the
movement?  Where do you get program guide information?  Is this really
possible for the average joe, or does this setup require a really ugly
setup that consists of a lot of soldered stuff and then require
continual (weekly) maintenance to keep it running normally?

Finally, a bit of background since there seems to be a lot of
information that is "regional":

I'm looking for this in the U.S., more directed towards the western
half.  I am beginning a project of building a garage (on the large
end) along with other projects that would allow me to run cables into
my home (Ham Radio goodness, networking the garage, etc).  I figure
this is the best time to at least setup for something of this nature.

Any ideas and information is very much appreciated.

-Chad