[mythtv-users] livetv vs recordings tuner use

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Mon Mar 31 20:50:07 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> John Finlay wrote:
>
>> I started a livetv session by mishandling the remote when the tv was off
>> and so it was recording for a few hours. Meanwhile I had set up mythtv
>> to record a program during that time period. I noticed that the
>> recording didn't happen because the tuner was in use with the livetv. I
>> have two identical tuners and at the time the other wasn't being used. I
>> would have expected mythtv by default to notice that the other tuner
>> wasn't being used and was capable of recording the program and then
>> switched to using the other tuner. Is there a setting to allow that
>> behavior?
>>
>> I'm using mythbuntu with 20.2.
>>
>> John
>>

> There's a setting to allow LiveTV to reschedule recordings. Don't recall
> exactly where it is off hand. However, it should have prompted you with
> a dialog box that said something like, "Hey.. I need to record. Do you
> want to watch while I record, exit to the main menu and let me record or
> cancel the recording and keep watching TV?" (not in those words). The
> default which is accepted after a short time is to watch while it
> records so your program should have recorded. Not sure why it didn't.

It might have prompted me but the tv was off and the livetv was started
by accident. I was hoping mythtv would automatically switch to using an
available tuner instead of the one that it had allocated. My thinking
was that the tuners that using the same source, etc. would be treated as
a pool that could be selected from by mythtv when recording needed to be
done.

Thanks

John