[mythtv-users] daisychain VGA-to-DVI, then DVI-to-component converters?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Mar 31 19:17:03 UTC 2008

Emery Guevremont wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>> I may purchase a pretty cheap mobo with a GeForce 7050 chipset. The mobo
>> has VGA and HDMI outputs. But I also want to try component, so I'm
>> thinking to put a VGA-to-DVI converter on the mobo, then hook up a
>> DVI-to-component converter that I've found online.
>>
>> Could there be any problems with this combination?
>>

> Why not do it direct VGA -> Component?
>
> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2409&seq=1&format=2

Nice, but...
The paragraph below sounds kind of ominous. Can somebody figure out
whether or not that means that it will not work with a regular VGA
output on an embedded GeForce 7050?

This cable is primarily used for connecting video projectors with
Component-in capability through it's VGA port. It can only function with
a VGA port that is either able to recieve or transmit Component signals
(Y, Pr, Pb).

IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPONENT VIDEO SOURCES TO A
REGULAR COMPUTER MONITOR OR HDTV unless you monitor specifically has
this capability. Most do not. (Please check the documentation for your
computer monitor)

THIS CABLE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER'S VGA PORT TO THE
COMPONENET INPUT ON YOUR HDTV unless your video card supports component
out function through it's VGA port (please confirm with your video cards
documentation before purchasing)

This cable will not convert RGBHV into Y, Pr, Pb.
This cable will not convert Y, Pr, Pb to RGBHV
This cable will not support Y, Cr, Cb.