[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Joe Votour vulturej at vulturesnest.net
Mon Mar 31 17:39:31 UTC 2008

Quoting Wes Hardaker <wjhns176 at hardakers.net>:

> KK> My cable subscription is $14/mo and get 12 stations, 10 of which are also
> KK> delivered to me via unencrypted QAM.
>
> I'm in your boat.  There are a few other channels I'd like to get
> (Comedy Central being the highest on the list).  I'm constantly amazed
> that there is a jump from like $14/mo to some ungodly price like
> $50-75/mo.  You'd think companies would do a better job offering
> something in the middle ground.  Please please please give me
> per-channel subscription a-la-carte selection.
>
> I've thought about switching to OTA and dropping my minimal cable bill
> (which would require an up front antenna bill).  But half the stuff we
> watch is on one of those channels that we don't get OTA: the discovery
> channel.  It's another one of those channels I'd probably pay for a-la-carte.
> --
> "In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
>  and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett

It's partly the fault of the cable operators, but more the fault of
the content providers which is why we don't have a-la-carte, and
likely won't unless some government agency with a spine enforces it.
But it will have a cost unless you can force the content providers to
stop bundling.

If you as a cable operator want to carry ESPN, then ABC will make you
carry ABC Family as well (as an example)., and pay for it.  When
a-la-carte comes, and you want ESPN, but not ABC Family, then the
cable company will charge you the price for both, since they have to
make up those fees somehow.  (I'm figuring that many, many more people
want ESPN than ABC Family).

So, a-la-carte might bring an even larger cable bill, depending on
which channels you want to watch.

-- Joe