[mythtv-users] DVD Nav/Read Fails

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 31 13:44:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:15:51PM -0400, mlists wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On some DVD's I get errors when I try to watch them.  My frontend log
> gives me:

    Could this perhaps be a QC issue on the disk? I ran into this
recently with the latest Harry Potter DVD. I've also seen something
similar on Forever Knight Seasons 1 & 2.

    When I researched the issue, it turns out that it's relatively
common. Sometimes it can be fixed by slowing down the DVD drive. The
faster drives seem to more readily expose manufacturing defects on
DVDs. This may not help though.

    If you've got an older machine or a console dvd player, this might
help sort things out. Some DVDs are only defective enough that they
have problems with DVD-ROM drives. This is not to be confused with
genuine "bad-data" style copy protection like Arccos.

    Some DVDs are just plain bad.