[mythtv-users] Vertical scaling in HD shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 30 12:46:49 UTC 2008

On 03/30/2008 01:19 AM, DaveD wrote:
> Video aspect override: Off
> Zoom: Off
> Video Playback Profile: Normal
> Vertical and Horizontal scaling: 0
> Scan displacement (X and Y): 0
> Video Aspect Override: Off
>
> In Appearance->Screen Settings I have tried setting Monitor Aspect Ratio
> to 16:10 and 16:9

Try setting "Xinerama screen" to "All" and the other values there, with
"Monitor Aspect Ratio" set to "16:10".

>  with "Use GUI size for TV playback on and off.

With this off.  And, please keep aspect override and zoom off.

>   These
> settings seem to have no effect, whatsoever.
>
> Nvidia driver finds the monitor, sets the resolution/refresh just fine
> with no Vertrefresh/Horizsync settings specified (uses EDID).  My old
> 19" CRT monitor worked the same way.  There's no problem getting the
> resolution.  The problem is that Myth is filling the screen instead of
> putting black bars top and bottom.  Xine and mplayer work as
> expected/desired.  It's as if Myth is trying to be "too smart" for its
> own good

In truth, Myth generally does exactly what you tell (configure) it to
do.  MPlayer and xine, on the other hand, try to be smart.

>  and filling the display by stretching the video vertically
> (people are tall and skinny, round things are oval).   Same settings
> work fine on my HTPC PC, FE/BE, connected via 15-pin analog to a 37" LCD
> monitor/TV but it is 1920x1080 and doesn't distort the picture the way
> it does on the remote FE computer with the 1920x1280 display.  I'm
> wondering if there's something in the backend (with the monitor that
> matches the content) influencing the remote frontend's ability to
> properly scale the video.  Any ideas?  Or should I submit a bug report?

No.  It's a configuration issue.  We just have to figure out which one.

If the above doesn't get it, what's the output of:  xdpyinfo

Mike