[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 17:08:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
>  Anyone know why the cable companies even care? What does time warner care if
>  you have a copy of an HBO TV Show? NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc don't seem to
>  care, cause if they did, I'm sure they would have ranted enough to have some
>  type of encryption created with the digital OTA broadcasts and then have
>  only certified TV's able to decrypt those stations.
>  -Steve

The cable companies don't care if you have copies.  They care that
people don't steal their cable.  The way cable is distributed, it's
easy to steal the cable feed and view the analog, clearQAM channels.
By encrypting them all it makes it so that you have to have a box and
therefor cannot steal cable.

So because there are people that steal the cable, those of us that pay
for cable don't get the clearQAM channels.  Plus the cable companies
have always wanted to charge a per outlet fee.  I believe when cable
ready tv's started coming out they lost that revenue.  Now they get to
charge an extra $x per tv again and that makes them happy.