[mythtv-users] Vid card recommendation

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 29 02:49:59 UTC 2008

(Mr. Mackey says top-posting's bad, m'kay?)

DaveD wrote:
> What I like best about my 5200 is that it runs the legacy drivers which
> GREATLY reduces CPU load during playback of HD content AND provides the
> video overlay, which gives brightness/contrast control.  Unfortunately,
> my new MB is PCIE and there's no PCIE version of the 5200 (sob).

Actually, there is: the GeForce PCX5300.  It's basically an FX5200 with a PCI
Express-to-AGP bridge.  I have one; performance didn't seem to be on the same
level as the 5200, so I eventually replaced it with a 6-series card.

A typical example of the type is shown here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/4710/Sparkle_NVIDIA_GeForce_PCX_5300/

Note the small extra heatsink just above the edge connector; the bridge chip
sits underneath it.

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter