[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Fri Mar 28 20:47:55 UTC 2008

stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:
> Related question:
>
> If you have a frontend / backend system, with a front end servicing a HD, you are obviously going to need a relatively stout processor in the front end. Or a middling processor and card with good MPEG2 offload capabilities.
>
> But what about the back end? It will be doing HD capture, which I understand isn't all that CPU intensive. But where does the commercial flagging / transcoding get done?
>
> This is relevant to me because I'm trying to decide whether to go for a new combined system, or to retire my current box to be back end only, and make a new HD-capable frontend in a trim little box.

I think the backend(s) does flagging/transcoding.  I can't see it
requiring huge amounts of grunt to transcode/commflag a MPEG2 stream
regardless of it's resolution, it's a pretty simple format.  Saying
that, to get it done in a reasonable timeframe might require a high end
P4/low-end Core 2... just so it doesn't take all night to do it.