[mythtv-users] Questions about new hardware purchase

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 17:54:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Thanks, sounds like you've built this one already?  ;-)
> I have built dozens of computers at work. But generally for myth I
> just put old parts together and make a box. Also my main mythtv box at
> home is my main desktop machine. I have stopped using windows at home
> 4 years ago after I found gentoo and mythtv...
>
> > Is this
> >  HD-capable?
> I believe it would be fine. You may want to see what others think.
>
> > I know there have been previous discussions of a separate
> >  drive for the OS + MySQL, how about in this situation?
> This may help but I have never had a problem with that. If you are
> worrying about performance you could pick up 2 250 GB drives then or
> the Segate 7200.11 which nets over 100MB/s STR.
>
> > Also, what
> >  Linux did you use?
> >
> I use gentoo at home and at work. Currently I have installed and I
> manage over 30 gentoo boxes and I find it to be very good for
> situations like mythtv (where the application is always being
> developed and the releases are few and far between).
>

> John

My current Myth box is the first one I built (and rebuilt) from an old
PC, and parts I had lying around or purchased with gift certificates,
aka "fun money." Since that system is becoming unreliable, I am ready
to pay this time (only because my own source of spare parts at work
has dried up). Just trying to make sure I get it right without
breaking the bank. Seems possible with your suggestions.

Gentoo, huh? I've tried Fedora, Ubuntu, and currently Knoppix... I'll
look into it.

Thanks!

Fred