[mythtv-users] Questions about new hardware purchase

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:02:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Fred Firestine <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >  I am purchasing a replacement for my frontend/backend system. I would
> >  appreciate if you could take a quick read and see if there are any
> >  potential problems (and/or workarounds you can offer).
> >
> >  It is a Dell PowerEdge SC440 server:
> >
> >  http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_sc440?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> >
> >  I am getting the "Dell Deal" at the center of the page, which includes
> >
> >  Dual Core Intel(R) Pentium E2160, 1.8GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
> >  No OS preloaded
> >  2GB DDR2, 667MHz, 2X512MB Single Ranked DIMMs (upgraded from 1GB for $10)
> >  2 x 160GB3 7.2K RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drives
> >  48X CD-ROM Drive (whatever, I will upgrade that)
> >  On-Board Single Gigabit Network Adapter (I have seen problems with
> >  this in Google searches, seem to be resolved)
> >
> From what they are offering it would be definitely cheaper to buy the
> parts and build it your self if you are comfortable with that. Every
> single component in this system is on the very low side of things
> almost the lowest you can get new in 2008. However it will work for a
> Myth box. I am not sure it would do HD though.
>
> John

I was looking into putting one together myself, but I couldn't get
prices this low. I guess I am looking in the wrong places? I had
priced out parts for a system based on the Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
4400+ at over $500, and another with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHZ
Desktop Processor for over $600. Total price on the above is $485. I
have been trying to do things "on the cheap" as much as possible, but
I was hoping this system could handle HD when I get the TV for it. My
tube TVs are still going strong.  ;-)

Why is it low-end for HD? Are there no hardware encoder/decoder cards?
If someone can forward specs for a system under $500, using my PCI
capture cards, I'm all for it. Still time to cancel with Dell.

Fred