[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Mar 28 02:05:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 04:48:14PM -0400, Braindead wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:52:50 -0400
> "Eric Mesa" <ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been doing a lot of reading and research with respect to current
> > cable trends in the US as well as reading the MythTV lists daily and
> > some of the archives.  First of all, I don't understand the point of
> <snip>
> I've got analog cable, can tune all the channels I want with as many tuners as I want.  No STB required.
>
> There's nothing on TV that I would even bother trying to get in HD anyway.

    HD means dramatically higher storage requirements.

    Even if Good Eats and Scooby Doo were available in genuine HD, I am not
sure I would care to spend 7-9GB per hour on either. The same goes for old
movies that have been mutilated and most new stuff.

    TV in general seems intent on putting itself out of it's misery. The
newer generations are more interested in different content. The older
generations can get the cream of the crop from years past on DVD. A lot
of other people can use techniques that aren't politically correct to
mention here.

    I find myself watching more TV while watching a lot less of stuff
captured from my cable provider.