[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 28 02:00:59 UTC 2008

On 03/27/2008 01:34 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Preston Crow wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 09:56 -0700, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But what happens if the channel that the cable box was tuned into goes
>>> off
>>> the air for a few hours in the middle of the night? That happens with
>>> some
>>> of the smaller stations.
>>>
>> I think the ideal behavior would be for Myth to realize that it's about
>> to record something through a tuner with an external channel change
>> command, and if the tuner is not already in use, then send the channel
>> change command two minutes early,

This is, to the best of my memory, the first time someone on this list
has actually discussed a good reason to use:

Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to start before the scheduled
start time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
shows have been scheduled without enough time in between.

That's pretty much exactly what it's designed to do--start the recording
early if it's the capture card is not already in use.  The external
channel change script then takes care of whatever needs to be
done--sending the discreet power-on command, waiting 45 seconds for the
box to boot--just in case--then changing the channel as appropriate, etc.

>>  with an environment variable
>> specifying the number of seconds before recording should start.
>>
> And screw up the last 2 minutes of whatever program it was recording
> before this recording.

Nah.  If you didn't use the above, it would just prevent the "whatever"
that would have been recording from recording because it conflicted with
the following show.  ;)

Mike