[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 27 20:49:53 UTC 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 2:27 PM, scram69 wrote:
>> As I understand it, Hauppauge  will be releasing an HDMI capture
>> card.  This
>> should allow you to record anything that your TV could display.
>
> And when they do, you better pick one (or several) up quickly, before
> this happens to them:
> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9898065-1.html

Wow. The "Holy Grail of Video Pirates".

Of course we all know that the "pirates" are completely unable to
"steal" anything now. There is no video whatsoever available via
Limewire. BitTorrents or the like.

As for "a whole month of HBO movies", I don't think HBO has aired
anything in the least decade or so that couldn't be obtained illegally
off the net. Heck, some movies hit the torrents before they ever get
to a single theater.

The commercial pirates are well financed and technically savvy. The
amateurs are really nothing for the studios to worry about by
comparison.

But the studios don't know how to get at the well-heeled pirates in
Asia, so they harass teenage kids and PVR users simply trying to use
what they have paid for, and pretend they are "solving" the problem.

beww