[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Mar 27 20:09:26 UTC 2008

Eric Mesa wrote:
> a bunch of stuff that didn't sound like it was researched very well, so I only skimmed it

1. You're assuming the only way to get television in the US is via
cable. OTA is better quality and free. Satellite gives me more options
than cable (in my area). FIOS works for people too, but I don't know a
lot about it.

2. You're assuming all cable companies are out to screw the end user and
encrypt everything they can just because they can. RCN and Astound are
two companies that don't do this (Astound I know for sure, I've only
heard rumors that RCN sends everything in the clear that you subscribe
to.) Sure, if you go with one of the bigger cable companies that ARE out
to screw the end user (or if you are forced to go with them) you can
fight back by canceling your service and make it clear that you are
canceling because they are not allowing you to use your own PVR. If
enough people do this, they will eventually do something about it.
Support smaller/independent cable companies who are willing to work with
subscribers to get the most out of their service. Comcast is my only
cable choice where I live. I have DirecTV. :)

3. You're forgetting about analog video sources which don't carry copy
protection. Some of this is in HD (component output from whatever
source). This would require a card capable of capturing and compressing
HD signal via component cables which at least 2 companies are very close
to releasing.

I thought just the subject line was flame bait, but I guess the whole
message was to some degree. Sorry if I fell into it.

-Brad