[mythtv-users] LIRC and MacOS X

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:00:36 UTC 2008

There is a solution to unleash the full potential of your Harmony
remote on a mac mini-based home theater without Lirc- however it
involves purchasing some 3rd party shareware (Remote Buddy).  You
create multiple instances of your 6-button mac remote and map them (I
have 6 x 6 or 36 buttons) to your Harmony remote.  It's described
here:
http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/using-the-harmony-880-remote-with-your-macs-built-in-ir-port/

Even without Myth, I think Remote Buddy is well worth it.  I use it to
drive iTunes, Firefox, Google Earth, Miro, and more all with my
harmony 550.  The kicker is that using Remote Buddy to assign a global
sleep command, the wife and kids only have to press one button on the
remote when they are done - that will turn off the TV, stereo, and put
the mac mini to sleep.  I figure the savings on the electricity bill
alone have paid for it...