[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Mar 27 17:27:31 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> You probably wouldn't want to record without audio, but Murphy's Law
> says you will, if the system allows it.

What?

>> Aside from the fact that the odds of a box being on and muted for some
>> reason are so slim it's barely worth discussing.
>
> I disagree with that. "Mute" is probably the most used button on
> remotes. When an annoying commercial comes on people tend to grab for
> the closest available "Mute" button.

Again - what? You watch commercials? And when you do, you mute the cable
box? Are you talking about using a cable box outside of mythtv that is
also connected to MythTV and would need to use the box at the next
scheduled recording?

I'm sorry, but if you're doing that you deserve your recordings to be
screwed up in whatever state you leave your box in.

> People also tend to leave something like CNN or the Weather Channel on
> with the sound muted (at least I do).

And you watch this right from the cable box and not through LiveTV?

> Obviously the best answer is to not use the STB's mute  control, but
> non-technical users will tend to do so, especially if that's what they
> are used to.

The best answer is to hide the STB's remote control and never use it.
The STB should be dedicated to MythTV. If you have such a great desire
to mess with the box and potentially screw up what Myth is trying to do
for you, you should get a second STB. No myth script is going to be able
to account for whatever random things you are doing that it outside of
myth's control.

-Brad