[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:02:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
> Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
>  digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
>  control my channels (right?).
>
>  I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
>  change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
>  from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording?  Is
>  there any way around this?
>
>  Jeff

One night I was fiddling around with my Comcast HD box, and I noticed
something strange in regards to the OSD.  I don't know if it's
repeatable, just my box, or what.

I currently have it hooked up to my tv set over HDMI.  I use a
HDHomeRun for the actual recordings.  One night, being frustrated by
the fact I'm missing out on a handful of good encrypted channels, I
decided to just try plugging the SVIDEO-out of the cable box into my
old, now unused PVR250, to see just how bad it would look (the idea
here would be to record the HD channels in scaled down, widescreen
over svideo format).  What was interesting is that the OSD *never*
came up over the svideo out as I manually changed channels.  I think
probably because I still had the HDMI hooked up and in use.  As if the
cable box only uses one output at a time for the OSD?  Like I said, I
don't know if it's repeatable or there would be a way to "trick" a
second box dedicated to recording to do this.  Just an interesting
observation.  I know you wrote you're not using HD and so definitely a
different box, but anyway...

- Willy