[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 27 15:54:53 UTC 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Daniel Arfsten wrote:

> You guys must have missed my response but there is a bash script
> that grabs video from your video source, then converts the mpg to a
> series of jpeg's, then a program converts the jpeg's into asci
> characters, then the program parses the asci characters and if it
> find a certain amount of characters, it'll know whether to send a
> power on command or not before changing channels. It's really
> awesome. My STB was turning off once in awhile also, don't know if
> it's due to updates or some setting in the STB that I can't find. I
> haven't missed a recording in a long time. here's the link to his
> script. let me know if I can help more.

Don't know about the "guys", but I saw your response.

Does it only work with a black screen or would it detect a static logo
(like "press select to view TV")?

Actually even that might not work with DISH receivers, as they seem to
move the text and logo around, presumably to prevent burn-in?

What about if you are tuned to one of the Sirius music channels? They
also have a moving logo. Would it mistakenly turn the STB or receiver
off?

A good idea, but it might work only in a limited number of
circumstances.

beww