[mythtv-users] Foiled by lirc - yet again

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 27 14:57:29 UTC 2008

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> Do you have anything bound to Ctrl-M?
>>  Verify if the Music button is sending Ctrl-M as that would explain why
>>  you get a carriage return...
>>  and MythTV definitiely cares whether you use M or Ctrl-M.
>>
>>  xev will AFAIK give details about whether CTRL is pressed...
>
> You could be onto something here. Here's the xev output for when I
> press the "Music" button on the remote
>
> <snip>
> KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
>     root 0x138, subw 0x0, time 3945212884, (-523,112), root:(457,276),
>     state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
>     root 0x138, subw 0x0, time 3945212884, (-523,112), root:(457,276),
>     state 0x4, keycode 58 (keysym 0x6d, m), same_screen YES,
> "   XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
> "   XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
>     root 0x138, subw 0x0, time 3945213164, (-523,112), root:(457,276),
>     state 0x4, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
>     root 0x138, subw 0x0, time 3945213164, (-523,112), root:(457,276),
>     state 0x0, keycode 58 (keysym 0x6d, m), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (6d) "m"
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
> </snip>
>
> So that looks like it could be sending LeftControl-M.
>
> But I'm not really sure what to do about that now. Do I have to do
> something in Xmodmap or do I do something in MythTV key bindings to
> get this working?

I have 2 of the Logitech DiNovo keyboard/mouse combos, one here at work,
and one at home for the mythbox. I *presume* that the innards are
similar if not the same as the DiNovo Edge. The Edge is smaller,
rechargeable and more expensive!!

There must be something going on with your kbd, since here I just get a
keycode 58 for KeyPress and KeyRelease events with 'm'. I can produce
your output with a Left-Control+m key combo.

So the state of your kbd is somehow weird. I do not think that these
keyboards can be put into a continuous CTRL shifted state, but I suppose
that is possible.

Have you checked the xmodmap mappings to see what it already being mapped?

If you want to change things, you will have to discover the keypresses
using xev and run xmodmap ( in rc.local probably) to install your
changes. See man xmodmap.

Try removing the battery (if you can) or letting it run right down, so
as to provide a fully off (reset) state.

As to using it as a mouse, I'm not sure that you can unless you can
somehow map the keypresses to mouse moves. You CAN remap the pad to
provide cursor tytpe movements (Up Down Right Left, etc). I have that,
but it is the same as using the arrow keys.

Unfortunately, the cursor which the keyboard controls is not the same
'thing' as the mouse cursor. And I think that they are two distinct
entities.

Geoff