[mythtv-users] Easy Cable Box Integration

Andrew Barbaccia andrew at monolithmc.com
Thu Mar 27 14:43:09 UTC 2008

Jeff,

I have found in the past:

--If a serial port or firewire port is on your cable box, that is the best
bet

--If above is not an option, a serial irblaster is a lot more reliable and
easier to setup than the hauppauge blaster (hauppauge blaster has a weak
signal and misses channels on occasion in addition to being annoying
deciphering firmware codes). Serial blasters are like $12 from
irblaster.info and I have not found a box I cannot control with a serial
blaster (I've moved like 4x).

Good luck!

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Jeff Clark wrote:
> > I've come to the sad realization that the cable in my area is all
> > digital and encrypted and that I need the box for what I want to
> > watch.
>
> I thought they were supposed to, at the very least, make available in
> an unencrypted manner the channels that you would be able to receive
> via an antenna.
>
> They should do this either by normal unencrypted NTSC signals or
> unencrypted QAM.
>
> It may still be true that anything you might actually want to watch is
> encrypted, but the cable shouldn't be "all digital and encrypted", at
> least if you are in the USA.
>
> beww

Andrew Barbaccia
MonolithMC Sales & Support