[mythtv-users] Commflagging in the UK?

Bryan Bennetts bryan.bennetts at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:29:01 UTC 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 11:18, Steve Smith wrote:
> On 27/03/2008, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 09:07:18AM +0000, Steve Smith wrote:
> >  > Anyone had any luck with commflagging in the UK? What options/tuning
> >  > did you use?
> >
> > In short, No. I've rotated around the options for a while, blank scene
> >  detected some breaks but not others and it had serious issues with
> >  the flashback segments in X-Factor, much to the annoyance of my SO.
> >
> >  Chris P posted earlier about the CommFlagging options and I noticed
> >  a silence detection option i've never heard about before. I'm going
> >  to try that tonight, as from what I can remember theres a audio break
> >  between the program and the adverts, also ITV and Five's branding is
> >  usually silent as well.
> >

> >  --
> >  Andrew Williams
> >  w: http://tensixtyone.com/
> >  e: andy at tensixtyone.com
>
> Thanks Andy,
> One option that commflag doesn't provide is pretty UK specific...
> that's the little black & white square in the top right 30secs before
> an ad break.
> I can't remember, is this still in use on ITV and C4?
> If it is still there it'd be pretty flawless for "terrestrial" channels.

Hey,

Just yesterday I was mulling this over.  The flashing box is used (AFAIK) for
syncing the different regions adverts to live tv shows.  IIRC, I had noticed
previously the during 'Saturday Night Takeaway' the box appears both at the
beginning and end of the advert breaks, however I checked 'Loose Women' (SO's
program not mine!) yesterday and the box only appeared at the beggining of
the advert break not the end...so mileage may vary if just using this marker.

On the plus side its a very definite marker, not as fuzzy as some advert
detection techniques.

Cheers, Bry.