[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

Paul pturpin+mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 03:35:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
>  Since people keep suggesting things to work on
>  for the flagger in Myth, I'll say that given the current code design and
>  where the most bang for the buck is, I'd recommend looking at the closed
>  captions and the silence detection.  Just thought I'd throw that in
>  since this thread may invariably turn into how to improve Myth's
>  flagger.

I've actually experimented with trying to use close captions to help
commercial flagging, though i did it with the experimental flagger,
not the classical one. It was more a proof of concept thing so to
start with i used ccextractor to extract the closed captions and then
attempted to match the closed captions up to frames based on the
timestamps. Then i tried to apply the same Bayesian type filtering
used in spam detection. It worked horribly, so i tried different ways
of tokenizing the captions. Still horrible. Now there are many things
i could have been doing wrong, possibly not getting the captions lined
up to the correct frames, or not tokenizing well, but as i looked over
my data it seemed that there were no words that were good indicators
of commercials.  Now it is possible someone else could use them to
help, but i though i would share my experience.