[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Johnny Russ JRuss at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 26 22:43:38 UTC 2008

Jeff Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Johnny Russ <JRuss at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>>  Jeff Clark wrote:
>>
>>  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
>>

>>  Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
>> digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
>> control my channels (right?).
>>
>> I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
>> change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
>> from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording? Is
>> there any way around this?
>>

>>  You should be able to configure how long the stb osd is displayed. I never
>> see it on MythTV anymore, though I used to in an earlier version. I use a
>> serial cable for changing channels, might be different if you are using an
>> ir blaster.
>>
>> Some people are assuming you have HD, but a digital box isn't necessarily a
>> HD box.
>>
>>  I'm not running anything HD (since I have neither an HD tuner nor an
>> HDTV), so everything's in SD. Comcast just told me that all the
>> channels are encrypted and that I would have to have a box to get
>> anything besides local channels. (Sarcastic love towards Comcast!)
>>
>> So I have to use a box, and it's an SD box.
>>
>> (If anyone is IN Boston and currently uses Comcast without a set-top
>> box, feel free to let me know - that would be much preferred,
>> obviously. Every time I call them up, there's a different answer from
>> their support guys.)
>>
>>  I have Comcast in the Belmont (Boston suburb). I just have the standard
>> cable setup and I get 70 or so channels with no set top box. When I was
>> going to upgrade to the digital package they told me that I would need the
>> box to get all of the higher up channels and VOD stuff. They said any TV
>> without the box would still be able to get the lower channels. Unfortunately
>> I am not sure where the cutoff was. But it would be easy for you to just
>> plug your cable straight into your TV and see what channels you get. I
>> believe it is most of the channels under 100.
>>

> Interesting... do you get NESN and ESPN/ESPN2?  These are the biggest
> things I'm worried about.
>
> It's kinda sick, yes, but I need my Bruins and Sox :)
>
> I'll try plugging directly into my TV tonight and see how that works.

Yes, I get those channels. They are 49-51 in my line up. I checked and I
get basically all of the channels through 71 and then a couple of random
ones in the 90's. Again I don't have digital cable so that may change
things. But as I understood it digital cable subscribers would get
everything I currently get without using a box, and would get all of the
additional channels with the box. In my MythTV backend setup under video
sources, I had to use us-cable-irc channel frequency table to get all of
the channels to come in properly. I think if you use the regular
us-cable table with Comcast here then channel 5 and 6 will be messed up
and a few others (I jacked up the first few episodes of Lost that I
tried to record before I figured that out). Hopefully that will help.