[mythtv-users] Final setup questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 26 22:02:17 UTC 2008

Darryl Hirschler wrote:
> You misunderstood me.  I didn't mean that progressive sources need to be
> deinterlaced.  But inverse telecine can help a lot if you have a
> progressive display that supports the framerate 23.976.  Inversing the
> 3:2 pulldown pattern restores the progressive frames without blending,
> bobbing, doubling, or throwing away data.  It just restores it to its
> original progressive frame and framerate... well, 23.976 fps is close
> enough to 24fps.  I suppose 24fps would be best, but then you'd have to
> adjust the audio too.
>

> Darryl

Yeah, I'm still misunderstanding you. So you *are* talking about
interlaced content on a progressive display.
3:2 pulldown simply shows every second frame for three field and
distorts the video so it plays back slower in order to do that. It
doesn't magically "restore" anything. Maybe some bored dev will add this
as the next deinterlacing option. :)