[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Johnny Russ JRuss at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 26 21:55:37 UTC 2008

Jeff Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
>>> digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
>>> control my channels (right?).
>>>
>>> I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
>>> change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
>>> from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording?  Is
>>> there any way around this?
>>>

>> You should be able to configure how long the stb osd is displayed.  I never
>> see it on MythTV anymore, though I used to in an earlier version.  I use a
>> serial cable for changing channels, might be different if you are using an
>> ir blaster.
>>
>> Some people are assuming you have HD, but a digital box isn't necessarily a
>> HD box.
>>

> I'm not running anything HD (since I have neither an HD tuner nor an
> HDTV), so everything's in SD.  Comcast just told me that all the
> channels are encrypted and that I would have to have a box to get
> anything besides local channels.  (Sarcastic love towards Comcast!)
>
> So I have to use a box, and it's an SD box.
>
> (If anyone is IN Boston and currently uses Comcast without a set-top
> box, feel free to let me know - that would be much preferred,
> obviously.  Every time I call them up, there's a different answer from
> their support guys.)

I have Comcast in the Belmont (Boston suburb). I just have the standard
cable setup and I get 70 or so channels with no set top box. When I was
going to upgrade to the digital package they told me that I would need
the box to get all of the higher up channels and VOD stuff. They said
any TV without the box would still be able to get the lower channels.
Unfortunately I am not sure where the cutoff was. But it would be easy
for you to just plug your cable straight into your TV and see what
channels you get. I believe it is most of the channels under 100.