[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Jeff Clark jeff at vacantcanvas.com
Wed Mar 26 21:12:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
> > Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
> > digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
> > control my channels (right?).
> >
> > I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
> > change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
> > from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording?  Is
> > there any way around this?
> >

> You should be able to configure how long the stb osd is displayed.  I never
> see it on MythTV anymore, though I used to in an earlier version.  I use a
> serial cable for changing channels, might be different if you are using an
> ir blaster.
>
> Some people are assuming you have HD, but a digital box isn't necessarily a
> HD box.

I'm not running anything HD (since I have neither an HD tuner nor an
HDTV), so everything's in SD.  Comcast just told me that all the
channels are encrypted and that I would have to have a box to get
anything besides local channels.  (Sarcastic love towards Comcast!)

So I have to use a box, and it's an SD box.

(If anyone is IN Boston and currently uses Comcast without a set-top
box, feel free to let me know - that would be much preferred,
obviously.  Every time I call them up, there's a different answer from
their support guys.)