[mythtv-users] mythtvideo 0.21 - internal player scaling

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:09:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Joan Vallés <joan.valles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using internal player for some time and I was happy with it as it
> plays many of the formats I use, since I upgraded to .21 I started noticing
> that videos do not look as smooth as before, I don't know how to explain it
> in my poor English, but image quality is definitely worse. I looks like the
> horizontal lines are doubled, scaled without interpolation ("coarse"?),
> does it make any sense? anyone experiencing something similar?
>
> BTW I tried the same videos using mplayer (SMplayer) and they look great (as
> they did when using .20)
>
> Thanks

Check which deinterlacers are you actually using in the display
profiles (Edit the profile and look at the settings).  If it's Yadif
or GreedyH, that's your problem.  These deinterlacers are currently
"broken", in that they'll deinterlace everything even if it's
progressive material, hence the jaggy looking video.  That's if I'm
understanding the problem correctly from reading the dev and commits
list.  I know I encountered the same issue and it's especially
noticable with DVDs (most of mine are progressive).  They looked great
before and now, not so much.  There's a patch floating out there for
weeks but it hasn't been actually commited.