[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 26 20:49:24 UTC 2008

Jeff Clark wrote:
> Comcast in Boston makes you use their box since all the channels are
> digital, which means that I definitely have to use a set-top box to
> control my channels (right?).

If you want to get encrypted programs, yes. You can bypass the box if
they're sending you unencrypted channels for everything you want to
record and have a digital tuner (likely not the case on the first bit).
> I'm curious though: when I hook my Mythbox up to my set-top box and
> change the channel to start a recording or whatever, won't the OSD
> from the Motorola box be recorded onto the Mythbox recording?  Is
> there any way around this?

I added a 1 second sleep to my channel change script so it wouldn't
return a successful channel change until the OSD went away. I also
soft-pad all my programs with a 15 second early start time so I never
miss the beginning even with this delay.

-Brad