[mythtv-users] Final setup questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 26 19:05:26 UTC 2008

Darryl Hirschler wrote:

> I am just about finished setup up my MythTV box.  It's a combined
> frontend/backend with a Dvico FusionHDTV3 QAM and Hauppauge PVR-500.  I
> am running MythTV .21.  It's almost perfect.
>
> But I have a smattering of small issues that I want to get resolved
> before I put it into full-time service.  I would like to call upon the
> Myth community to help me.
>
> 1. Channel logos - Is there a tool that will install the channel logos?
> For that matter, I think I need the names for the channels too.  I
> thought they would come over along with the EPG data.

You can use the icon downloader built into mythtv-setup. Channel names would come from your data source. You haven't said where you got your channel data, so I can't help you further with that.

> 2. Start channel browsing from last channel - When I go to watch TV, is
> there a way to have it come up with the last channel I was watching?  Or
> can I at least set it to a certain channel?

Not currently implemented as far as I'm aware.

> 3. Font size in OSD theme - I installed the "Gray" OSD theme.  I like
> the look of it but the fonts are sized wrong.  The letters look like
> they are overlapping each other, and things don't seem to fit where they
> should.  Is there a way to reset it, or customize the fonts and sizes?

Install msttcorefonts package and your text will be much happier. Not sure what distribution you're using so I can't point you to the package specifically.

> 4. Channel +/- buttons - On the remote, I like to use the ch+/ch-
> buttons which are currently mapped to PgUp/PgDn (I think).  Anyways, I'd
> like to make them change channels instantly.  I can use the up/down
> arrows to browse channel descriptions and press OK to actually change
> the channel.  But for the ch+/- buttons I'd like them to go instantly
> without the need to press OK or Enter.  Can you program a button to send
> two keys to MythTV?

You think you want to do that, but you really don't. Leave it on browsing channels and only switching to the channel when you see something you really want to watch. You will be much happier with LiveTV this way. You will be much happier with MythTV when you get yourself out of the habit of watching LiveTV at all. (Hint... whenever you are watching LiveTV right now, schedule the program to record so you don't have to catch it on LiveTV next time. Do this long enough and you'll never watch LiveTV again. I promise.)

Apologies if this msg is f'ed up. Trying a new mail client and not sure how this will send to the list.