[mythtv-users] Why the need for playback settings

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 25 23:34:15 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 16:06:28 Dean Harding wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > PVR-350 does hardware accelerated video playback on Linux.  Try
> > switching to that and see if you still think it's a good thing.
>
> I think he was talking about nVidia's PureVideo technology on Windows. I
> personally can't think of a reason why you *wouldn't* use PureVideo if
> the option was available.

Yes,

also the (windows) drivers for the new 780G based boards that have integrated
HDMI connectors and can do H.264 acceleration. That allows a low end low
power CPU to be used - important for HTPC boxes.

Quite flexible, allowing for a variety of resolutions and windowed content.
There's nothing similar under linux except for XvMC which is very limited.

--
Lindsay