[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Mar 25 20:11:41 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> indicating that no current dev would put the time in to writing a
>> patch
>> for this. Why are you jumping to Videos? Not sure why that would
>> happen.
>
> Well, last night,

<some stuff happened>

> This is an extension of some ideas I had back in October for
> combining TV,
> VIdeo, and Music into a single view:
> (http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-October/200808.html)

Gotcha. It sounds like it's time for someone (someone who wants it -
i.e. you) to work on a Search plugin. Basically something that
searches across all media types. Enter some terms like "Home
Improvement" and up comes a list of recorded programs of the TV show
(maybe a top-level item of Recorded Programs that expands to show them
all), videos from your DVD box sets, music with the theme song, photos
of your kitchen remodeling project. Navigate the list, select an item
and the corresponding frontend module opens and plays that item.

I used to work for a company whose primary focus was aggregating
metadata from disparate media and normalization/taxonomy of that
metadata. Great concept, terrible software.

Anyway, to me that makes a lot more sense than trying to build a huge
difficult-to-navigate tree of every piece of media myth knows about
(on a screen you can see from 10 feet away). I think the first place
that someone would need to start is a way of telling an installed
plugin to handle a particular piece of media. "Oh, this came from
recorded programs, internal video player, play this video" or "this
came from music, MythMusic - play this file".

-Brad