[mythtv-users] Commercial flagging on a sample basis

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:51:03 UTC 2008

> >> Yes. *None of the above works satisfactorily in the UK*.
>  >
big edit for brevity......

>  Hmm. It is possible that a number of us in the UK could perhaps define the
>  problem, even the specifics of how each commercial is made up, but I don't know
>  if it would be possible to code against what we find. I might be wrong: the
>  problem may be too difficult.
>
>  As for other countries - [goes for a lie down in a dark corner].
>

>  Mike Perkins

Surely for the ITV channels there are a few simple rules we can follow?

1.  Any program on ITV1 after the news make sure to set your start
time at least 5 minutes and end times at least 20 minutes later then
the schedule says....on average the 1st prog after the news starts 7
minutes after the supposedly scheduled time and the latest I've seen
was 16 minutes (in both cases with no announcement as to "we're
running later then advertised").

2.  The code for spotting on ITV2/3/4 should surely be written to try
to spot the programming between the ad breaks?  I've stopped watching
movies on the 2nd tier ITV channels as they're unwatchable.....instead
I always do an adstrip and transcode to .avi.  Pretty soon I think my
movie library will be bigger then ITVs!!

3.  Some of the 'overnight' programming has no spotable ad breaks
(unless you do it maually) record some millenniums from ITV4 (other
progs are similar but this is the best example that springs to mind).
I've seen Ad (no actual adverts just ITV promos) breaks as short as 40
seconds and with no clear exit and enter graphic showing the change to
commercial.

I think in the UK it'll be a lot harder to code auto advert
spotting.......however I can now usually do a manual adstrip on a prog
in 2-4 minutes and it's worth it to not see the ads.